Search This Blog

Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Controlled Experiment

This is how it all began. My roommate asked me if I would accompany him to the store in the neighborhood to buy a pack of cigarettes. I agreed and while walking I thought this is the time I should try my experiment because then I could tell myself with confidence that trying alcohol was not under the influence of peer pressure, want to have a good time, or for social acceptability, etc and I also never had it in my mind so I thought this is a good time as this could be primarily dedicated to science and I could have a new experience.

We reached the store and bought a six pack of Bud lite (beer) and walked back home. Then I and all of my roommates sat in the balcony and began drinking. My first reaction when I tasted beer was "yuck". I did not want to have another sip but I was quite determined to complete the experiment and meet the objectives of the experiment.

Thus I drank not one beer but two, and what NO effect! I just left like I was having some aerated drink that just helped digestion. I could feel the noodles (Maggie) that I had 2 hours back was being digested quickly. I was kind of disappointed that my experiment would fail. In the living room I asked my roommate what else I could do? Then I had 2 oz of Jack Daniels whisky one 1.5oz with orange and mango juice and the remaining with water. I just hated the taste not only of whisky but also of the juice. My face would make involuntary dirty expressions due to the bad taste and if I remember well I felt like puking with each sip just because of the dirty taste. I was reluctantly having the smallest sip possible then roommate gave me an idea that see it is the same distaste per sip why not just gulp down a few larger sip and get over with the glass. I liked the idea and there I went the entire glass of whisky over in 3 large gulps.

I was expecting that I would be thrown off by this as I was a first time drinker but nothing happened and then we decided to call it a night so we decided to go the balcony so my roommate could have a smoke. He was explaining which parts of the brains get knocked off and the cerebellum and how the cerebrum tries to compensate for it. And all the science stuff as he is a doctor. WOW it started coming in waves to me, I started finding hard to follow him my logic was and short-term memory was getting knocked. He then asked me to stand at attention and close my eyes, it is a standard test to check if you start swaying means your cerebellum is out, the reason for one to close the eyes is because with the eyes closed the cerebrum (the replacement) cannot function and one is forced to use the cerebellum to stand. The next he asked me to walk on a straight white line which was there in the yard. I had hand movements to balance myself. I could feel the effects of alcohol and I acknowledge it a few minutes later. I was little slow to acknowledge that alcohol had an effect on me because somehow other than my motor movements I was fine I was still engaged in the science and asking questions not just listening. 5-10 minutes into when I acknowledged that now I have to make an effort to talk and the conversation is becoming a little difficult to follow. Alcohol Effects OVER! Back to normal, my body metabolized alcohol pretty quickly and I was normal. That disappointed me as I wanted to go all out. We called it a night and both decided to go to sleep.

I called my girlfriend and was describing the entire experience and as I was talking I though since I am almost there why not just go all out, I went in got my age proof and my credit card and walked to the same store to get more alcohol so this time I thought let’s try Vodka.

I bought 200ml of 80 proof Takka Vodka and a 590ml bottle of coke with some peanuts and I came back home got on to Skype and with my girlfriend helping me out with proportions and I finish the entire package in 20mins. Boom!!! I was out. Completely out! Gone! Done!

I lost complete control of my motor movements, my head was still thinking but had no control over myself, in the sense I could not stop myself from talking or doing anything. I knew I was talking non-stop but couldn't stop myself. I went on telling my girlfriend that alcohol is now in bloodstream and is taking my cerebullm out and by then I was completely swaying to and fro. To hold my head straight was such a difficult talk, I was being told that take care otherwise I would snap my neck, I realized the danger and acknowledged but was finding it difficult to order my brain to execute my thinking and act according to the danger, to put in simple words I could take in information and process the information but I would completely fail to act, I had not much control over my actions. I really could not order my brain to stop talking or act in face of danger.

I was speaking a lot of stuff to my girlfriend, which for obvious reasons I cannot make public over the internet. But then I started puking, I was finding it difficult to even stand and reach the bathroom I was banging myself on the walls. Then I was thinking vomiting was risky and to hedge my risk I thought I must somehow walk to the kitchen and get a few plastic bags so then I would be able to restrict my movements and sit in one place and be able to puke into the plastic bags.

It was getting bad and I was very sad and at that point I just wanted to be normal myself. I just wanted to get over with it. And I was making up my mind that I hate this taste and did not like it, would never do it even for another experiment. Then there was a voice that was telling me you should wake up your roommates they would be able to help you. I just followed that voice and walked towards his room. I banged into the sidewalls a thousand times and then my roommate woke up with all the sound. At the same time I had another urge to vomit so I rushed to the bathroom and sat down and vomited. The best part then I kept my head on the rim of the toilet and fell asleep. Two of my roommates tried to pull me and supporting me sent me back into my room to sleep. And I was shouting all the time I wanted this to end immediately and I hate this, I will never do this, I need to end this - and fell asleep.

2 comments:

  1. hehe.......hillarious.....some experience it must have been !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must mention that you can write REALLY well and that you express your thoughts interestingly!!!
    good going yaa
    keep blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete